Saturday, March 3, 2018

Reflection 3

I found the concert to be interesting. I was happy to know that funds go towards music education for refugee children in the Middle East. I have never attended a concert by an Arab band, and was really impressed with what I heard. In particular, I thought the guest vocalist did a fantastic job. I don’t speak Arabic, so I did not understand what she was saying, but she had a nice voice. I find the Arab language to be beautiful and is something I would be interested in learning at McDaniel. I found it interesting that Ramzi spoke with such a calm voice, and spoke from the heart when talking about their mission. I believe this is true of individuals in the Arab world. I liked how Ramzi introduced the ensemble and explained the different types of instruments because some were unfamiliar to me. I recognized a couple instruments that were played from class that day. After attempting to play the instruments in class, I was impressed at how well they played. In addition, I noticed that the vocals were not part of the entire concert, and even when the vocalist was singing, I noticed that she paused throughout the song for the band to play their instruments. And, most of the concert was the band playing, rather than mostly singing. I would definitely attend another Arab concert because I thought it was a nice taste of Arab culture and it was something new to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment