Thursday, February 15, 2018

Reflection 2- Islamic Spain

I enjoyed Dr. Deveny's lecture today on Islamic Spain. I found his lecture to be interesting and insightful. However, I found that 90 minutes was not enough time to cover the material, and for me to grasp a solid understanding. A lot of the information was new to me, so it was a lot to take in. I think it would be beneficial to have another lecture on Islamic Spain because I enjoy the topic. I enjoyed the song Dr. Deveny played for us. I find the music to be beautiful, and I know the upcoming concert will play similar music, so I look forward to that as well. I find it interesting how similar the Arabic and Spanish language are to each other. I am also studying Spanish, and I did not know how related Arabic and Spanish words are. I was also surprised to hear that Spanish originated from Latin because I thought this was mostly true for the English language. At the end of his lecture, I really enjoyed looking at the architecture in Spain. I find it amazing how people can create such amazing pieces of art, and I hope one day, maybe when I study abroad, I can look at the architecture in person.  I thought the term sheet he handed out was helpful because there are a lot of terms that I am unfamiliar with, and they are good to know especially when learning about the Arab World. Overall, I had a positive experience and wouldn’t mind learning more about Islamic Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment